On 10 June 1944, four days after D-Day, the village of Oradour-sur-Glane (in Nazi-occupied France) was destroyed when 643 civilians were massacred by a German Waffen-SS company. Women and children were locked in the church and then burnt it, who could escape were shot with a machine gun. Men were led to the barns and shot in their legs, then they were covered with fuel and set the barns on fire. President Charles de Gaulle ordered that the ruins of the old village be maintained as a permanent memorial and museum. All pictures were taken with a 4x5 film camera.